Operations Manager — Elgin EMS
Full Time Permanent
Medavie Health Services Ontario is the subsidiary of Medavie Health Services responsible for the optimal operation and management of Elgin EMS, an integrated, pre-hospital care organization. People are the biggest drivers of our success, and we are excited to continue to build a healthier community together. As the land ambulance service provider for Elgin EMS, we’re looking for an Operations Manager who is committed to the delivery of innovative health care, safety and communications solutions through knowledgeable and caring professionals. Our belief is in a better life for the communities we serve
Medavie Health Services is part of Medavie, a health services organization. Together with Medavie Blue Cross, we are committed to providing innovative solutions that will improve the health of all Canadians.
As a not-for-profit organization, Medavie is proud to commit an annual social dividend to the Medavie Health Foundation to support programs and initiatives aimed at addressing some of our country’s most pressing physical and mental health coverage.
Located in St. Thomas, Ontario, the incumbent will be responsible for the effective and efficient day to day 24/7 operations of the EMS service including managing approximately 100 paramedics and systems to meet the performance requirements of the ambulance service for the County of Elgin and surrounding areas. Reporting to the General Manager, you will assist with the Company Corporate Strategic Goals, build staff capabilities, and implement changes to improve service levels by supporting and influencing both external patient care and internal staff. The overall general role of this position is to direct and provide oversight for the workforce in a positive manner while supporting labour relations with our external partners for major strategic projects across the organization while mitigating risk for the County.
The position entails, but is not limited to the following:
- responsible for the management and supervision of the on-going day-to-day operations of the Emergency Medical Services in accordance with County policies, current collective agreements and strategic direction;
- involved in the decision making of the recruitment process and candidate selection;
- develops operational policies and procedures as well as performance standards in accordance with the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care Certification requirements;
- assist annually to evaluate the departmental operations and report achieved results and outcomes to the General Manager;
- ensure overall responsibility and accountability of all aspects of the deployment and utilization of Paramedic resources, operational policies and resources to maintain the efficiency and effectiveness of the service provided;
- assist with management of collective bargaining issues;
- collaborate with other Emergency Services, Health Care Providers and associations, government departments, the general public and local media to promote the department’s services;
- prepare investigations according to Ministry and Provincial Government regulations and report the results of the investigations to the General Manager; and
- other duties as assigned.
As the ideal candidate for this role, you:
- have completed an approved paramedic training program and are currently registered as a paramedic in the province of Ontario;
- possess a minimum of five years’ experience working as a paramedic with a minimum of three years in a progressively responsible leadership role;
- have proven experience in EMS management, information technology, finance, and human resources;
- comprehensive understanding of appropriate federal, provincial and municipal legislation and regulations related to Land Ambulance and Emergency Medical Services;
- possess a valid Class F driver’s license in Ontario (or equivalent);
- have the ability to exercise independent judgment and can problem solve with discretion;
- are committed to providing stellar levels of customer/patient service and have a passion for business growth within MHS;
- possess and demonstrate leadership abilities with a proven track record for inspiring and motivating others;
- are skilled in leading and developing staff;
- use a positive and creative approach to problem solving;
- possess outstanding communication, negotiating, and dispute resolution skills;
- have working knowledge of standard business computer programs (ie. Microsoft Office Suite).
A post-secondary education in business administration would be considered an asset. Regular business hours required, but some irregular hours can be expected including on call requirements.
If you are interested in working with a dynamic team of professionals and possess the necessary qualifications, please send your resume with cover letter to email@example.com. Please include the competition number ONEL2021-01 in the file name along with your first and last name.
Competition closes Friday, March 5, 2021.
We would like to thank all candidates for expressing interest. Please note only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Medavie Health Services is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.